Eugene Davisson Lyon
Eugene Davisson Lyon
Lyon, a former chief of dentistry and oral surgery at Johns Hopkins, was born in Baltimore, graduating from The Johns Hopkins University with an A.B. in 1933. After receiving his D.D.S. from the University of Maryland’s Baltimore College of Dental Surgery in 1938, Lyon embarked on four years of postdoctoral training in oral surgery at Johns Hopkins and the Mayo Foundation in Minnesota. Lyon earned an M.S. from the University of Minnesota in 1942 and then joined the U.S. Army Dental Corps, serving in the southwestern Pacific until 1946 with the Hopkins 118th General Hospital unit.
Returning to Baltimore after the war, Lyon held the post of associate dental surgeon-in-charge at The Johns Hopkins Hospital until 1950, when he was chosen to head the hospital’s Division of Dentistry and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
In 1965, Lyon became assistant professor of dental surgery and remained in continuous, part-time service at both the hospital and the medical school until 1985. Lyon fulfilled two administrative roles at Hopkins, in addition to practicing and teaching his specialty: he built up the hospital’s residency program in dental and oral surgery and also took charge of recruitment and operation of the dental care program associated with comprehensive child care clinic.
Lyon gained wide recognition from his competence and skill in the clinical management of trauma to the face and jaw and in reconstructive surgery of these delicate and complex structures. Active as well in professional and community affairs, Lyon served as a consultant in oral surgery to the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, the U.S. Public Health Service Hospital in Baltimore, and the Veterans Administration Hospital in Perry Point, Maryland. Lyon also served a four-year term on the board of directors of the Maryland division of the American Cancer Society and, during the 1950s, was president of both the Middle Atlantic Society of Oral Surgeons and the Baltimore City Dental Society.